BCF Ultrasound Australasia Pty Ltd and its related entities (BCF Group) understands the importance of, and is committed to, protecting the privacy of an individual’s personal information. In handling personal information, BCF Group is committed to complying with the Australian Privacy Principles (APPs) contained in the Privacy Act 1988 (as amended) (Australian Act) in Australia; and the Information Privacy Principles (IPPs) contained in the Privacy Act 1993 in New Zealand (New Zealand Act).
This Policy sets out how BCF Group aims to protect the privacy of personal information, an individual’s rights in relation to their personal information managed or held by BCF Group and the way BCF Group collects, holds, uses and discloses personal information. This Policy may be updated from time to time.
In the event personal information is collected during a recruitment or application process and you subsequently become an employee of BCF Group, BCF Group’s handling of such personal information may no longer be governed by the Privacy Acts and this Policy will no longer apply to you. BCF Group will nevertheless treat personal information it holds about its employees appropriately in the circumstances.
What is ‘Personal Information’ and what kinds of Personal Information does BCF Group collect and access?
Information – information we may collect from all
individuals/companies who we deal with for the purposes of providing our products
and services. The main types of information we collect are:
- Contact details including your address, telephone numbers and email addresses.
- Information about your company such as the name, size and location of your company and your role within the company.
- Records of our interaction with you and any confidential feedback you may give us.
- Your use of our products and services, and certain transactional information and financial details to process any transactions.
employees and contractors– information we may collect to reasonably
determine your suitability for work with us or through us. The main types of
information we collect are:
- Name and contact details, including your address, email address and phone numbers.
- Your date of birth and gender.
- Information in your cover letter, resume and application forms including your skills, qualifications, work history, references, goals and interests.
- Details of your work rights in Australia and other countries.
- Your tax file number and superannuation details.
- Information documenting your work history with or through us.
- Other information that you or your referees provide to us, including personal feedback.
Sensitive information is a special category of personal information under the Australian Act. It is information or opinion about you, including membership of a professional or trade association or membership of a trade union; criminal record; health information, racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, membership of a political association, religious beliefs or affiliations, philosophical beliefs, or sexual preferences or practices. As outlined in the Australian Act, sensitive information can, in most cases, only be disclosed with your consent.
How will your Personal Information be collected or accessed?
Generally, personal information will be collected from you directly when you apply for a role, request a product or service, or otherwise provide us with personal information in person or via our website, telephone, email, fax, post or other means, whether at BCF Group’s request or at your own initiative.
There may be other occasions when BCF Group collects your personal information from other sources such as another person or business, or from a publicly available source including social media or when we engage a consultant or agent to collect information about people who may be interested in buying BCF Group’s products or services. Generally, BCF will only collect your personal information from sources other than you if it is unreasonable or impracticable to collect your personal information from you.
You can visit our website and browse without the need to disclose any personal information.
When you access a BCF Group website or web application a small file (“cookie”) is saved on your computer’s hard drive. Cookies are used to collect information about how websites are used. The data contained in any cookie is encrypted and does not give us access to your computer or any personal information about you.
Why does BCF Group need your Personal Information?
- to enable you to access and use our products and services.
- to operate, protect, improve and optimise our products and services, such as to perform maintenance, perform analytics, conduct research and for advertising and marketing.
- to send you service, support and administrative messages, reminders, technical notices, updates and information requested by you.
- to send you marketing and promotional messages and other information that may be of interest to you, including information sent by, or on behalf of, our business partners that we think you may find interesting.
- to administer rewards, surveys, contests, or other promotional activities or events sponsored or managed by us or our business partners.
- to comply with our legal obligations, and
- to consider your employment application.
Where personal information is used or disclosed, BCF Group takes steps reasonable in the circumstances to ensure it is relevant to the purpose for which it is to be used or disclosed.
You are under no obligation to provide your personal information to BCF Group. However, without certain information from you, or where information provided is inaccurate or irrelevant, BCF Group may not be able to provide its products and services to you or may be limited in its ability to provide its products and services to you.
In the event you do not wish to receive marketing communications, you can opt-out by contacting BCF Group via the contact details set out below or through any opt-out mechanism contained in a marketing communication to you.
Disclosure of Personal Information
- our employees and related bodies corporate.
- third party suppliers and service providers (including providers for the operation of our websites and/or our business or in connection with providing our products and services to you).
- professional advisers, dealers and agents.
- payment systems operators (eg merchants receiving card payments).
- our existing or potential agents, business partners or partners.
- anyone to whom our assets or businesses (or any part of them) are transferred.
- specific third parties authorised by you to receive information held by us, and/or,
- other persons, including government agencies, regulatory bodies and law enforcement agencies, or as required, authorised or permitted by law.
We may disclose your personal information overseas.
Security of your Personal Information
BCF Group takes all reasonable steps to ensure personal information it holds is protected against misuse, interference and loss and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. BCF Group holds personal information in both hard copy and electronic forms in secure databases on secure premises, accessible only by authorised staff.
BCF Group will destroy or de‑identify personal information in circumstances where it is no longer required, unless BCF Group is otherwise required or authorised by law to retain the information.
You can gain access to, and seek correction of, your Personal Information held by BCF Group
BCF Group takes steps reasonable in the circumstances to ensure personal information it holds is accurate, up‑to‑date, complete, relevant and not misleading. Subject to some exceptions that are set out in both the APPs and IPPs, you have a right to access and seek correction of your personal information that is collected and held by BCF Group. If at any time you would like to access or correct the personal information that BCF Group holds about you, or you would like more information on BCF Group’s approach to privacy, please contact BCF Group via the contact details set out below. BCF Group will grant access to the extent required or authorised by the Privacy Acts or other law and take steps reasonable in the circumstances to correct personal information where necessary and appropriate.
- you will have to provide proof of identity. This is necessary to ensure that personal information is provided only to the correct individuals and that the privacy of others is protected.
- BCF Group requests that you be reasonably specific about the information you require, and
- BCF Group may charge you a reasonable administration fee, which reflects the cost to BCF Group for providing access in accordance with your request.
BCF Group will endeavour to respond to your request to access or correct your personal information within 30 days from your request.
If BCF Group refuses your request to access or correct your personal information, BCF Group will provide you with written reasons for the refusal and details of complaint mechanisms. BCF Group will also take steps reasonable in the circumstance to provide you with access in a manner that meets your needs and the needs of BCF Group.
Please direct all privacy complaints to BCF Group’s Privacy Compliance Officer via the contact details below.
- will be treated seriously.
- will be dealt with promptly.
- will be dealt with in a confidential manner, and
- will not affect your existing obligations or affect the commercial arrangements between you and BCF Group.
BCF Group’s Privacy Officer will commence an investigation into your complaint. You will be informed of the outcome of your complaint following completion of the investigation. In the event you are dissatisfied with the outcome of your complaint, you may refer the complaint to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner, or in or in New Zealand you can contact the Office of the Privacy Commissioner.
How to contact us
For further information or enquiries regarding personal information that BCF Group holds about you, or if you would like to opt out of receiving any promotional communications, please write to: